Jonathan Higgins was born in Oakland, CA in 1962. He received a B.A. in Art from Humboldt State University in 1987 and an M.A. in Art from New York University in 1992. He has taught printmaking at the College of New Rochelle and West Virginia University, was co-founder and Master Printer of Galamander Press, New York, NY from 1994 – 2000, and is currently the proprietor of Manneken Press, a fine art press he co-founded in 2000 with Sarah Smelser, located in Bloomington, Illinois. Full Circle: Recent Prints From Manneken Press, is a traveling exhibition currently on tour to several venues in the United States through early 2008.
As a Master Printer Higgins has worked with leading artists at print workshops including:
• Patricia Branstead Studio, New York, NY; K.
• Caraccio Studio, New York, NY
• Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
• New York University, New York, NY
• The Printmaking Workshop, New York, NY
• Rutgers Center for Innovative Print and Paper, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
• David Smith-Harrison Studio, Emeryville, CA
• Vinalhaven Press, Vinalhaven, ME/New York, NY.
As an artist Higgins has exhibited widely. He has had solo exhibitions at:
• 80 Washington Square East Galleries, New York, NY
• SFMOMA Artists Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
His work has been included in group exhibitions at:
• Reese Bullen Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
• Collins C. Dibboll Art Gallery, Loyola University, New Orleans, LA
• Freundorfer Gallery, New York, NY
• Helleden Litografiska Akademin, Tidaholm, Sweden
• Hudson Gallery, Sylvania, OH; International Print Center, New York, NY
• Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
• Long Beach Museum of Art, Long Beach, CA
• Mason Gross School of the Arts Gallery, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
• The Museum in the Community, Hurricane, WV; P.S
• 122 Gallery, New York, NY
• Quay School of Fine Arts, Wanganui, New Zealand
• Wakeley Gallery, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, IL
• Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis, MN
• Marty Walker Gallery, Dallas, TX
• Barry Whistler Gallery, Dallas, TX
• Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
Jonathan’s work has been shown at several art fairs, including Estampa Internacional del Grabado y Ediciones de Arte Contemporáneo, Madrid, Spain, and Art Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany.
Higgins has been awarded artist residencies at Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA; Artica Studio, Bilbao, Spain; and the Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, Belgium.
Higgins received the James D. Phelan Art Award in Printmaking: Honorable Mention in 2003.
Higgins’ work is included in the following collections: Amity Art Foundation, CT; K. Caraccio Etching Studio Archive, New York, NY; Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA; Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, Belgium; Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA; Long Beach Museum of Art, Long Beach, CA; New Jersey State Council for the Arts, NJ; Nieman-Marcus, Dallas, TX; Reader's Digest Association, Inc. Corporate Art Collection, Pleasantville, NY; Royal Museum of Fine Arts, Antwerp, Belgium; University of Mississippi, Southern Graphics Council Archive; University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE; University of Texas, Austin, TX; Vinalhaven Press, Vinalhaven, ME; Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
Presentation: The Use of Digital Films in Traditional Copperplate Photogravure
(Friday morning and afternoon)
Frontiers in Printmaking conference tentative schedule